Thursday, February 16, 2012

Think Pink!

Breast Cancer. Not something that comes lighthearted in our family. My mom has been diagnosed twice with breast cancer in the past six years. She fought like a champ both times. The first time she had a partial mastectomy and went through chemo and radiation. I remember before she started losing her hair we went to the Huntington mall to the wig store. I remember we all cried the whole time, and then laughed when she put on hideous wigs. I remember the lady who worked there even cried with us, and when leaving she asked if she could pray with us. She held our hands and said a prayer for my mom. Prayers were answered. The surgery, chemo, and radiation helped. Fast forward a few years later. She found a lump in her other breast. It turned out to be breast cancer as well, luckily it wasn't spread from the previous time, it had nothing to do with having cancer before. She just was one of those people that got it again. She went through chemo again and lost her hair again and BEAT IT AGAIN!
I can't say I know how it feels, but I can say it isn't something you want to go through, yourself or seeing a family member go through it. But one thing is for sure. She was a fighter, she never once complained. I never got a phone call saying poor pitiful me. There was never a day she ever made you feel like you should feel sorry for her. Her and my dad were always positive, never made it seem like she had a bad day. There were days she couldn't get out of bed, days where everything made her sick, days she probably laid in bed and cried. I wouldn't know because she made it seem like beating cancer was just another thing on her to-do list.

My grandmother had breast cancer before I was even born. My moms sister, who lives close by, had breast cancer before my mom did. Her other sister from Charlotte was diagnosed this past year with breast cancer. My mom and aunt didn't think twice to pack up and go there to be with her and help take care of her. They were there during her surgery and to help her come home. They went back weeks later and helped her out again. Luckily, we do not have the gene that runs in our family. My mom and her sister were both tested for it and to confirm it wasn't in the family gene. It is just a rare occurrence that so many people in our family have been diagnosed.


Lets just say if I had to go through what they had to I would have been a hot mess. I don't want to go through it, I don't want my sister to go through it, I don't want my daughter to go through it, I don't want my best friends to go through it, I don't want anyone to go through it. So thats why we walk!! Have you ever done a Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure? Have you donated before? Here is your chance.


I am going to do one more mini session special this spring. All money for the sessions will be donated to our Susan G. Komen team.
DETAILS:


When: April 22, 2012
Location: TBA (Charleston area) if raining will be inside
Prices: $50 for 7 images on CD
            $80 for 14 images on CD

Time: 4:00-4:20
          4:25-4:45
          4:50-5:10
          5:15:5:35
          5:40-6:00
          6:05-6:25
          6:30-6:50
          6:55-7:15

The sessions are for up to three people. (To add an extra person it is $15 per person. No more than 6 people total)


How to sign up:

Go to Paypal.com. Click on the blue tab "Send Money." In the box there is an option for "purchase or personal" Click on Personal and then the option "gift." Click continue. Before you click send money please scroll down to the message part and please leave a message with your name and address and time slot. That way I know who donated and the amount of pictures that will go on your CD. If you are worried about a certain time slot please ask me beforehand if it has been booked! Thank you so much and I am so happy to work with you all!! If you are interested in just donating without a session click here. 


If you want to join our team and walk with us please email me and I will send you a link.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers